1. FBI raids homes of anti-war activists
2. In raids, FBI seeks terrorist links; activists cry foul
3. Headless Body and a Fenceless Border <http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/261191/headless-body-and-fenceless-border-mark-krikorian>
4. Report on Labor Movement from Freedom Road Socialist Organization — USA by Joe Iosbaker, Labor Commission Chair http://www.wpb.be/icm/98en/98en15.htm
JOHN NICHOLS – AL JAZEERA TIES
- John Nichols, a political writer at The Nation magazine, will be providing live analysis for Al Jazeera during our special US election coverage beginning at 22GMT on Tuesday, November 4.
- John Nichols is The Nation‘s Washington correspondent and editorial page editor of the Capital Times in Madison, Wis. He is the author of Against the Beast: A Documentary History of American Opposition to Empire; Jews for Buchanan; and Dick: The Man Who Is President and co-author, with Robert McChesney, of It’s the Media, Stupid!; Our Media, Not Theirs; Tragedy & Farce: How the American Media Sell Wars, Spin Elections and Destroy Democracy; and, most recently, The Death and Life of American Journalism.
- Why not a News Americorps, where we send young people into communities to work at community radio stations, to work in-to develop news sites in underserved places, maybe to supercharge a high school radio station, something like that? And why not, at the same time, supercharge funding to begin to get to something akin to European levels for public media, public broadcasting, and especially community stations around this country? There are simple things we could start doing right now, and these are not recreating the wheel. These are really policy choices.
HILLARY CLINTON REAL NEWS (MARCH 2)
- In fact viewership of Al Jazeera is going up in the United States because it’s real news…You may not agree with it, but you feel like you’re getting real news around the clock instead of a million commercials and, you know, arguments between talking heads and the kind of stuff that we do on our news which, you know, is not particularly informative to us, let alone foreigners.”
HILLARY CLINTON PRIVATE MEDIA SOT (MARCH 2)
- We are engaged in an information war // our private media can’t fill that gap. In fact, our private media, particularly cultural programming often works at counter purposes to what we truly are as Americans and what our values are.
HILLARY CLINTON INFO WAR SOT
- We are in an information war. And we are losing that war. I’ll be very blunt in my assessment. Al Jazeera is winning. The Chinese have opened up a global English language and multi-language television network. The Russians have opened up an English language network.
HILLARY CLINTON VALUES ARENA (MARCH 2)
- We’re not competing in the way we need to compete in the information values arena. Al Jazeera is. The Chinese have opened up a global English network and a network in other languages. Russia has opened up a global English network. We are missing in action.
HILLARY CLINTON NO COMPETITION (MARCH 2)
- Why are Americans watching Al Jazeera? Because we don’t have anything to compete with it. So they’re turning to Al Jazeera. So Let’s try to figure out how we’re going to win the information war.
Egypt coverage gives Al Jazeera surge in U.S. viewers
- Meanwhile, the channel has experienced a surge in its U.S. online audience. By Friday its website’s live feed had been seen by 9.4 million viewers, Al Jazeera said. Of those, 3.5 million viewers were in the United States.
- Lacking a major TV distribution deal in America, the channel has focused on web distribution. The full 24-hour channel of Al-Jazeera English is only offered in three U.S. TV markets, the largest being Washington D.C through Comcast, Verizon FiOS and Cox, to a possible audience of 2.4 million, said a spokeswoman for Al Jazeera.
- Since January 28, traffic to its website has spiked about 1,000 percent, with about half that audience of U.S. origin. Before its coverage of the Egypt <http://www.reuters.com/places/egypt> ian demonstrations, the channel had 60,000 followers on Twitter. It now has nearly 180,000, said Mohamed Nanabhay, head of online services at Al Jazeera English. Its Facebook followers have doubled to 340,000, he said.
America: An enemy of democracy? <http://blogs.aljazeera.net/middle-east/2011/02/08/america-enemy-democracy>
(2006) Al Jazeera’s Readers on 9/11: 49.9% support bin Laden
WE LOVE AL JAZEERA SOT MONTAGE
- MSNBC, 2/28: It’s been so wonderful to see al jazeera merge as a key voice in news right now and if you look on their traffic, and you see that they’ve tripled in the last month, it’s quite incredible
- NPR: I spoke earlier today that former State Department official named Katie Stanton. She’s now vice president at Twitter. She says everyone, including government officials here in the States, are turning to Al Jazeera as a trusted source of news.
- JOE SCARBOROUGH, MSNBC: Let’s start with Al Jazeera. I was concerned because cable companies were not picking it up. I wanted Americans to know what people in the Middle East were saying.
- BRIAN STETLER, NYTimes: One-point-six million people in the U.S. have watched Al Jazeera English online since Friday. I’ve been one of them. It’s been fantastic.