Who are the shepherds?
30. You, therefore, shall prophesy against them all these words, and say to them: "The Lord will roar from on high, and from his holy habitation utter his voice; he will roar mightily against his fold, and shout, like those who tread grapes, against all the inhabitants of the earth.
31. The clamor will resound to the ends of the earth, for the Lord has an indictment against the nations; he is entering into judgment with all flesh, and the wicked he will put to the sword, declares the Lord."
32. Thus says the Lord of hosts: Behold, disaster is going forth from nation to nation, and a great tempest is stirring from the farthest parts of the earth!
33. And those pierced by the Lord on that day shall extend from one end of the earth to the other. They shall not be lamented, or gathered, or buried; they shall be dung on the surface of the ground.
34. Wail, you shepherds, and cry out, and roll in ashes, you lords of the flock, for the days of your slaughter and dispersion have come, and you shall fall like a choice vessel.
35. No refuge will remain for the shepherds, nor escape for the lords of the flock.
36. A voice—the cry of the shepherds, and the wail of the lords of the flock! For the Lord is laying waste their pasture,
37. and the peaceful folds are devastated because of the fierce anger of the Lord.
38. Like a lion he has left his lair, for their land has become a waste because of the sword of the oppressor, and because of his fierce anger.
Featured Image: An Iraqi girl stands near a herd of sheep in a rural area of Diwaniyah, 65 kms from the holy city of Najaf on June 15, 2015. AFP PHOTO / HAIDAR HAMDANI (Photo credit: HAIDAR HAMDANI/AFP/Getty Images)