'Border Agents: Ramos & Compean'
What the liberal whiners say:
1. 'They were rogue cops, who shot an unarmed man in the butt'
2. 'They didn't report the shooting, and made the crime worse by disposing of the shell casings'
3. 'Hey, they were convicted by a jury of their peers'
4. 'The only ones who believe these guys are racist talk radio hosts
Your winning, logical, reasoned arguments:
1. Rogue cops? Ignacio Ramos had been nominated for "Border Agent of the Year" in 2005. Joe Compean, in addition to serving his country in the border patrol, also served honorably in the Navy. There was nothing "rogue" about either one of these agents. As for shooting an "unarmed" man in the back; the only one who says he was unarmed was the drug dealer (Aldrete-Davila) himself, and the prosecutors who gave him immunity to testify. Ramos and Compean maintain to this day, that they saw something shiny in his hand as he turned and pointed toward them. Do you believe a drug cartel mule, who'd been smuggling drugs since he was 14, or two men who'd devoted their lives to protecting their country?
2. The fact that they didn't report the shooting is often cited by U.S. Attorney, Johnny Sutton and repeated often in the press. However, filing a written report is NOT required, and there were 15 agents, including three supervisors on the scene by the end of the incident. It was well known to their supervisors. The disposing of the shell casings was a departmental problem...NOT a crime. A suspension or even dismissal from their positions should have been the harshest punishment they faced; not 11 & 12 YEARS in Federal Prison. No one even KNEW that the illegal alien smuggler had been hit by their fire.
3. Yes, a jury of peers who was told that drug smuggler Aldrete-Davila had never done such a thing before. He was simply trying to raise $2000 for surgery his mother needed, and he didn't even know what he was delivering. The prosecution knew this was a lie, and in fact, after having been given immunity for the drug bust to testify, plus free medical care and unlimited passes across the border, he was caught not once, but TWICE more...with drug loads totaling about a ton. Knowing this, and encouraging him to testify of these lies, the prosecution was guilty of suborning purjury. The witness had NO credibility, and the jury was lied to.
4. It's interesting that so many who hate the Bush Administration and everything it does, including firing eight U.S. Attorneys for political reasons, would now side with that same Bush Justice Department against two Hispanic Americans. Pasty white U.S. Attorney, Johnny Sutton, and his group of Casper the friendly ghost prosecutorial team, viciously went after two Hispanic law enforcement agents, using a gun charge in the commission of a crime statute to force mandatory 10 year federal sentences in this case...but the talk hosts who are fighting so vigorously for these Hispanic agents are somehow racist? Can you explain that to me?