How to win the argument de jour with logic and facts
The Surge in Iraq
What the liberal whiners say:
1. 'It didn't work'
2. 'OK, it worked because of the amazing work of the men and women in the U.S. military'
3. 'Actually, the Surge worked better than anyone could've imagined, even President Bush and Dick Cheney has no idea it would work like this'
4. Well, come to think of it, while the Surge may or may not have worked, it really wasn't the Surge that helped anyway. It was the Sunni tribes that stop the violence in Iraq'
Your winning, logical, reasoned arguments:
1. Really? Violence against U.S. troops is down 80%...the number of U.S. combat deaths in July (5), was the lowest since the invasion. Violence against Iraqi civilians is also down about 70%. We've turned over more and more provinces to Iraqi control...their infrastructure is being rebuilt and their economy is on the rise. Iraq's oil production is up to around 2.5 million barrels per day and they just posted a budget SURPLUS of $70 billion. In fact, the Surge has worked so well, it now seems that it may be possible to start withdrawing U.S. troops from Iraq.
2. Exactly. And, I know know you don't want to give ANY credit to the hated, evil, BUSH, but someone deployed those troops against a ton of opposition...or did they deploy themselves?
3. OK, so now you're saying that Bush and Cheney deployed the troops against all the opposition they faced to do it, in the belief that the Surge would FAIL? I'm sorry, that seems like a really stupid argument, even for YOU and Barack Obama.
4. Oh, so now you're taking back your praise of the men and women in the American military? The Sunni tribes were able to take back their neighborhoods because of the incredible accomplishments of our troops. By the way, Barack Obama said at the beginning of the Surge that, not only would 20-30,000 more troops NOT help, it would actually make the situation WORSE. The only thing consistent about Obama and other liberals on the Surge has been their wrong-ness.