With Glenn focusing on preparedness in tonight's TV show, we thought you might be interested to see what items should be included in your Go Bag.
72hr Go-Bag Packing List
• 6 MRE's (stripped down) • 3 1-liter bottles of water • Personal medical kit • Leather man multi-tool
• 1 large tarp • 1 large emergency blanket • Fire-starter sticks • Flashlight with extra batteries • 100mph tape (heavy-duty duct tape) • 500 ft parachute cord (550 chord) • Windbreaker w/ hood • Lighter & lighter fluid (zippo) • Metal cup • Baby wipes • Ranger handbook • Whistle • Notepad, pencil, pens, markers
• Change of clothes (climate/terrain/mission dependent) • Sleep roll • 1 pack bungee cords • Signal mirror
• 2 large ziplock bags of nuts • Family pack of chewing gum • Tactical ziplock bags (5)
• GPS/maps/atlas • Mobile phone • Hat/gloves/sunglasses • Sunblock • Bug repellent
Luxury Items: • Portable heating stove
• Sat Phone • Burner phones (multiple) • Personal tent • Hand-crank/battery/solar-powered radio • Extra food/water • Instant coffee / hot chocolate • iPod & ear buds • Reading material • Two-way radios with surv kit
They also recommend having a small hatchet for emergencies.
Obviously, not all of those are applicable. Who is really going to make sure to have an iPod in there? But if you need them...
'The Emergency Plus Kit' from Food Insurance, which is focused on 72 hours of food, includes the following:
- lightweight, weather-resistant backpack
- 2 week food supply (3 entrees per day for 1 adult)
- Reusable heat source
- Quick heat fuel pellets
- Waterproof matches
- cooking tin
- water filter (treats up to 100 gallons)
- First Aid Kit
- Emergency all-in-one tool
- Flashlight/radio combo
- Dust/pollutant masks (2)