Glenn aired some of the Congressional hearing of the biased treatment of conservative groups by the IRS during his radio program today and it was a pretty sad spectacle. Ousted acting Commissioner Steven Miller tried to argue there were no politics at play whatsoever, it was just them trying to be more ‘efficient’ with their work. Riiiight.
"They are saying that 'targeting; is a harsh word and we didn't target anybody. Can you imagine if this was about gays? Jonah Goldberg just brought this up: This was about gays or women or anything like that what people would say. Do you think if they said that you were targeting civil rights organizations," Glenn said.
Perhaps the most scathing comments to the IRS came from Rep. Michael Kelly, a Pennsylvania Republican.
“If you think it’s uncomfortable sitting over there you ought to be a private individual when the IRS is across from you asking you questions,” Kelly said.
TheBlaze put together some highlights from his speech, below are some of the best:
• “This kind of reconfirms that, you know what, they [the IRS] can do almost anything they want to anybody they want, anytime they want. This is very chilling for the American people.”
• “This is a Pandora’s Box that has been opened and I don’t think we can get the lid back on it.”
• “I don’t believe the White House just found out about this in a news report.”
• “I got to tell you, where you’re sitting, you should be outraged — and you’re not. The American people should be outraged, and they are.”
• “This reconfirms everything the American public believes! This is a huge blow to the faith and trust the American people have in their government!”
• “And when the IRS comes in, you’re not allowed to be shoddy, you’re not allowed to be run horribly, you’re not allowed to make mistakes, you’re not allowed to do one damn thing that doesn’t come in compliance. If you do, you’re held responsible right then.”