Apparently it’s never too early to start thinking about 2016. The Washington Examiner reports the Republican National Committee is in the process of conducting a 2016 presidential straw poll that included 32 potential candidates. The poll, which asks users to select their top three picks, includes Senators Ted Cruz (R-TX), Rand Paul (R-KY), former Alaska Governor Sara Palin, and New Jersey Governor Chis Christie among others. On radio this morning, Glenn, Pat, and Stu handicapped the 2016 pool.
“Well, the Washington Examiner has done is story on the 32-person GOP field for 2016, and we're just looking at it,” Glenn said. “I have a big pen here, so lots of ink to scratch people off… Let's start at the beginning.”
The guys went through the list name-by-name selecting who they are willing to consider for 2016 based on a loose assessment of the individual’s record.
Below is the list of potential candidates as per the RNC straw poll:
- Sen. Kelly Ayotte, of New Hampshire
- Haley Barbour, former Mississippi governor
- John Bolton, former ambassador to the United Nations
- Jeb Bush, former Florida governor
– Herman Cain, a radio host
- Ben Carson, author and neurosurgeon
– Chris Christie, New Jersey governor
– Sen. Ted Cruz, of Texas
– Mitch Daniels, former Indiana governor
- Newt Gingrich, former House speaker
- Nikki Haley, South Carolina governor
- Mike Huckabee, former Arkansas governor
- Bobby Jindal, Louisiana governor
– John Kasich, Ohio governor
- Rep. Peter King, of New York
- Susana Martinez, New Mexico governor
– Sarah Palin, former Alaska governor
- Sen. Rand Paul, of Kentucky
- Former Rep. Ron Paul, of Texas
– Tim Pawlenty, former Minnesota governor
– Mike Pence, Indiana governor
– Rick Perry, Texas governor
- Sen. Rob Portman, of Ohio
- Condoleezza Rice, former secretary of state
– Sen. Marco Rubio, of Florida
– Rep. Paul Ryan, of Wisconsin
– Brian Sandoval, Nevada governor
- Rick Santorum, former Pennsylvania senator
– Sen. Tim Scott, of South Carolina
- Sen. John Thune, of South Dakota
- Scott Walker, Wisconsin governor
– Former Rep. Allen West, of Florida
When all was said and done, Glenn, Pat, and Stu were left with 19 names they were willing to consider. One of the reasons so many names remained on the list is because they decided it was best to further research the people they did not know much about.
Glenn then asked the group to narrow down the field even further to the individuals they would be willing to go to bat for immediately. Needless to say, Sen. Cruz topped everyone’s list. Pat also included former congressman Allen West, while Stu really likes Sen. Paul and Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal.
If the elections were to be held tomorrow, Glenn’s dream ticket would include Senators Cruz and Paul. And believes they could be a very formidable opponent to a Democratic candidate like Hillary Clinton.
“I think a Rand Paul/Ted Cruz or Ted Cruz/Rand Paul, whatever, ticket would excite the conservative base,” Glenn said. “I think Rand Paul appeals to the younger libertarian voters, and I think that's where you are going to get all of your fuel. You will get your fuel this time from people who are just like, ‘I don't want the system anymore,’ and Rand Paul can give you that. I think that's worth its weight in gold right now. And Ted Cruz can give you the real true conservative. You put those two together and I think it is dynamic because there's not going to be passion [on the other side]. Who's passionate for Hillary Clinton, really?”
You can take the RNC straw poll HERE.