Damning information regarding the Obama Administration’s priorities at the height of the September 11, 2012 terrorist attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya continues to trickle out. On Thursday, ABC News reported Congressman Darrell Issa (R-CA) is now saying a State Department e-mail that remains classified shows, in the immediate aftermath of the Benghazi attack, the White House contacted YouTube to warn of the “ramifications” of allowing the posting of an anti-Islamic video.
“When Ambassador Chris Stevens was missing on September 11th, 2012, and Tyrone Woods, Sean Smith, and Glen Doherty were fighting for their lives with military assets within a quick flight to provide aid, who did the White House call,” Glenn asked on radio this morning. “Don't say Ghost Busters.”
The memo suggests that even as the attack was still underway — and before the CIA began the process of compiling talking points on its analysis of what happened — the White House believed it was in retaliation for a controversial video.
The subject line of the e-mail, which was sent at 9:11 p.m. Eastern Time on the night of the attack, is “Update on Response to actions – Libya.” The e-mail was written hours before the attack was over.
Issa has asked the White House to declassify and release the document. In the meantime he has inserted a sentence from the e-mail in the Congressional Record.
Asked about the document, a senior White House official told ABC News it demonstrates that the White House genuinely believed the video sparked the attack all along, a belief that turned out to be incorrect.
“This was a setup. The new information that has come out in the last couple of weeks is that they had already deemed that and were already pushing that video story out because they knew that there were going to be uprisings. They were pushing that video as an excuse before any of this happened, so they were prepared in case something happened [to] blame it on the video,” Glenn said. “So the White House wanted YouTube, a privately owned business, to do what exactly? I mean it would have been nice if he would have called the military, call up the jets. Don't think that they haven't thought about what they could do if they had the military go into YouTube.”