'I am living on borrowed time': Meet the pilot who should have been 'one of the first victims of 9/11'

On September 11, 2001, Steve Scheibner was supposed to be piloting American Airlines Flight 11. A last minute scheduling change had him replaced with Senior Pilot Tom McGuinness. Flight 11 was hijacked by 5 terrorists and crashed into the North Tower of the World Trade Center.

"I am living on borrowed time," Scheibner told Glenn on Thursday's Glenn Beck Program. "I can look at my calendar. 13 years ago today I should shave been one of the first victims of 9/11."

Glenn, who was unfamiliar with Scheibner's story until recently, asked him to describe the series of events that led up to him not getting on the plane that day.

“On September 10… it just so happened I was the only guy on reserve - on call - to fill in for another pilot,” he said. “In that instance, the computer will automatically assign your name to the trip. So at three o’clock in the afternoon, I went to the computer and… when I brought up the page, there was my name already assigned to the trip. Typically, within two or three minutes, they’ll call you and confirm the assignment. Once that phone call gets made, it’s a done deal.”

But Scheibner's phone never rang.

“What ended up happening was another fellow, a pilot by the name of Tom McGuinness, he was celebrating his 42nd birthday on September 10 with his wife and his children,” he explained. “Tom did what I did at about the exact same time. About three o’clock in the afternoon, he logged in to see if there was any unassigned flying. Because he was senior to me, he could bump me… and so just that quickly, they erased that name from the trip and they put Tom’s on it. And now, as we know, the rest is history.”

Scheibner, who is also a U.S. Navy pilot, ended up going to work on a local base on September 11. He was on the base when he learned of the attacks. At the time, however, he was unaware the hijacked plan was the one he was scheduled to be on.

"It didn’t really click with me that that was the flight that I was supposed to be on," he said. "Later that night, when I finally made it home… we had a little impromptu prayer meeting at our house… I snuck away afterwards to see if I could find the names of the crew that had been on that flight."

"When I brought the screen up in front of me, it looked exactly like it did the day before, where it had my name on it," he continued. "But now there were no names on it, and all it said was ‘sequence failed continuity.’ And what that means is, the flight never made it to its destination. And what an understatement."

Scheibner said the news hit him "like a ton of bricks."

"I can't be happy. I can't be sad," Scheibner said. "I still have an empty feeling after all these years."

That series of events led to a sobering change of perspective for Schneiber. As a father of eight, local pastor, pilot, and serviceman, Scheibner was a very busy man. As he explained, however, in the aftermath of September 11, he realized he needed to discover why his life was saved.

Schneiber has since discovered a calling to change the American culture one family at a time.

“On 9/11, we were passionate about our family. [With] eight kids, you have to be,” he said. “Now we’re passionate about the American family… We really feel like the American family is in crisis, so we started a nonprofit called CharacterHealth.com.”

Along with his wife, Megan, Scheibner created a course for parents called “The Nine Practices of a Proactive Parent,” which he based of a course he designed and implemented for the Navy a number of years ago.

“Our aim is to transform the American culture by equipping parents to train a new generation of courageous, Christ-like, what we call ‘character healthy’ leaders. And by that I mean problem solvers,” Schneiber said. “It’s transforming the culture one family at a time. Forget about the mainstream media. Forget about going toe to toe with liberals and their agenda. Go straight to people.”

Ultimately, Scheibner believes his life was spared that day so he could work to "change the American culture for the cause of Christ."

Learn more about CharacterHealth.com HERE.

The 2020 Radio Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony takes place on October 29, from 7 to 9pm ET, hosted by iHeartMedia's Elvis Duran. The ceremony will broadcast live on radio stations across the country, streamed via iHeartRadio, and on the SiriusXM Triumph Channel, and on Blaze Radio Network.

More information here.

Listen to the ceremony live now.


Protests following the fatal police shooting of Walter Wallace Jr quickly devolved into violence, rioting, and looting in Philadelphia, and BlazeTV's Elijah Schaffer was there to document what the mainstream media won't. But while filming the carnage inside a Five Below on Tuesday, Elijah was surrounded and attacked by looters.

Elijah joined Glenn Beck on the radio program Wednesday to detail his experience and to explain why mainstream media efforts to downplay the violence just show that independent media has never been more important.

"Unfortunately, [the attack] escalated from one person to about a dozen very quickly," Elijah explained. "I'm actually really happy to be alive. Because in that same shopping center, right there, there was a 15-year-old girl who was shot, according to reports. And I heard multiple gunshots throughout the night. Another individual is reported to have heard a gunshot as well, so we try to confirm. I watched people get pummeled beyond belief."

Glenn asked Elijah to respond to mainstream media claims that conservatives are exaggerating the looting and violence in Philadelphia.

"It's so funny to hear people that aren't there try to counter what we're reporting," Elijah replied.

Watch the video below to catch more of the conversation:

Subscribe to BlazeTV today with our BEST DEAL EVER for $30 off with promo code GLENN.

Want more from Glenn Beck?

To enjoy more of Glenn's masterful storytelling, thought-provoking analysis and uncanny ability to make sense of the chaos, subscribe to BlazeTV — the largest multi-platform network of voices who love America, defend the Constitution and live the American dream.

In the final days before the 2020 election, President Donald Trump is gaining among black voters, particularly men, because his record of accomplishments "speaks for itself" and the "façade" that President Trump is a racist "just doesn't ring true," argued sports columnist Jason Whitlock on "The Glenn Beck Radio Program" Tuesday.

Jason, who recently interviewed the president at the White House for OutKick.com, shared his thoughts on why he believes many black Americans — notably celebrities such as Kanye West, Ice Cube, and 50 Cent — are breaking from the "façade" that President Trump is a "flaming racist."

"I really believe the facts are starting to speak for themselves, and that Donald Trump's record of accomplishments, particularly as it relates to African Americans, speaks for itself," Jason told Glenn. "He actually has a record to stand on, unlike even Barack Obama. When [Obama] was president, I don't think he had much of a record to stand on, in terms of, 'Hey, what did he actually deliver for African Americans?' President Trump has things he can stand on and, you know, beyond that I think black people understand when he starts talking about black unemployment rate. And America's unemployment rate. And then, when you add in for black men, the façade we've been putting on [President Trump] … you know, this whole thing that he's some flaming racist, it just doesn't ring true."

Jason suggested that Trump's fearlessness, unabashed masculinity, and record of keeping his promises resonates with men in the black community. He also weighed in on how media and social media's bias plays a huge role in convincing people to hate President Trump while ignoring Antifa and others on the Left.

"I keep explaining to people, Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, they're some of the most secular places on earth. And we've reduced everyone to a tweet, that we disagree with," he added.

Watch the video below to catch more of the conversation:

Want more from Glenn Beck?

To enjoy more of Glenn's masterful storytelling, thought-provoking analysis and uncanny ability to make sense of the chaos, subscribe to BlazeTV — the largest multi-platform network of voices who love America, defend the Constitution and live the American dream.

Megyn Kelly is not happy about the "disgusting" media coverage of President Donald Trump, specifically pointing to Lesley Stahl's "60 Minutes" interview on CBS Sunday.

On the radio program, Megyn told Glenn Beck the media has become so blinded by the "Trump Derangement Syndrome" that they've lost their own credibility — and now they can't get it back.

"It's disgusting. It's stomach-turning," Megyn said of the media's coverage of the president. "But it's just a continuation of what we've seen over the past couple of years. Their 'Trump Derangement Syndrome' has blinded them to what they're doing to their own credibility. They can't get it back. It's too late. They've already sacrificed it. And now no one is listening to them other than the hard partisans for whom they craft their news."

Megyn also discussed how she would have covered the recent stories about Hunter and Joe Biden's alleged corruption. Watch the video below to catch more of the conversation:


Want more from Glenn Beck?

To enjoy more of Glenn's masterful storytelling, thought-provoking analysis and uncanny ability to make sense of the chaos, subscribe to BlazeTV — the largest multi-platform network of voices who love America, defend the Constitution and live the American dream.