For those who tuned in to Glenn's radio program on Thursday, it shouldn't have been hard to tell he was upset. Glenn didn't attempt to hide his feelings of betrayal when the Freedom Caucus expressed support for Paul Ryan as Speaker of the House after previously emphasizing the importance of getting someone else in there who could change the process.
Glenn's staff tried calling the Freedom Caucus founders so they could defend their position to Glenn's listeners, but got crickets in response.
"Gee, they're not taking phone calls," Glenn said.
One person who supported Paul Ryan actually agreed to come on the program - Georgia Rep. Barry Loudermilk.
"I have told Mr. Loudermilk's staff he's walking into a buzz saw, but he's more than welcome," Glenn said. "Maybe he has a good explanation, and we will treat him with respect as he is the only one so far that has had the guts to come on the program and face his constituents."
Watch the heated exchange below.
Glenn's staff called every member of the Freedom Caucus on Thursday after Glenn's radio show ended. Here are the results.
- Chairman Jim Jordan of Ohio, Chair - Phone line was busy.
- Justin Amash of Michigan – Nobody answered and mailbox was full.
- Brian Babin of Texas – Staff member wasn't sure.
- Rod Blum of Iowa – Nobody answered and mailbox was full.
- Dave Brat of Virginia – Had a previous engagement so wasn't at Wednesday night's Freedom Caucus meeting. Staff member was unable to commit to a specific candidate for speaker.
- Jim Bridenstine of Oklahoma – SUPPORTING DANIEL WEBSTER NOW AND AT NEXT WEEK'S VOTES.
- Mo Brooks of Alabama – Staff member hadn't spoken to him, so not sure.
- Ken Buck of Colorado – Staff member wasn't sure.
- Curt Clawson of Florida – Opposed Paul Ryan Wednesday night. Has supported Daniel Webster in the past. Staff member assumed he will next week as well.
- Ron DeSantis of Florida – Staff member hadn't spoken to him, so not sure.
- Scott Desjarlais of Tennessee – Staff member said Rep. Desjarlais seemed to be ok with supporting Paul Ryan, but that could change.
- Jeff Duncan of South Carolina – Supported Paul Ryan at the Wednesday night gathering.
- John Fleming of Louisiana – Staff member wasn't sure.
- Trent Franks of Arizona – Still up in the air.
- Scott Garrett of New Jersey – Staff member wouldn't share either way.
- Paul Gosar of Arizona – Staff member hadn't seen him, so not sure.
- Morgan Griffith of Virginia – Staff member hadn't spoken to him, so not sure.
- Andy Harris of Maryland – Staff member said nothing has been shared publically.
- Jody Hice of Georgia – Staff said Rep. Hice hadn't discussed this with them, so couldn't speak to this now.
- Tim Huelskamp of Kansas – SOLIDLY FOR DANIEL WEBSTER.
- Raúl Labrador of Idaho – Supporting Paul Ryan but "not his demands."
- Barry Loudermilk of Georgia – Supporting Paul Ryan.
- Cynthia Lummis of Wyoming – Still considering the candidates.
- Mark Meadows of North Carolina – Staff said he's having an open conversation but hasn't formerly decided.
- Alex Mooney of West Virginia – Undecided.
- Mick Mulvaney of South Carolina – Referred to Facebook page where he states that he is standing with the founders of the Freedom Caucus - so must be for Paul Ryan.
- Gary Palmer of Alabama – Undecided.
- Steve Pearce of New Mexico – PUBLICLY SUPPORTING DANIEL WEBSTER.
- Scott Perry of Pennsylvania – Supporting Paul Ryan.
- Ted Poe of Texas – Has met with Paul Ryan several times, but is still reviewing his options.
- Bill Posey of Florida – SUPPORTING DANIEL WEBSTER.
- Keith Rothfus of Pennsylvania – Considering options until the vote next week.
- Matt Salmon of Arizona – Still undecided.
- Mark Sanford of South Carolina – Standing with the majority of the Freedom Caucus - so must be for Paul Ryan.
- David Schweikert of Arizona - Standing with the Freedom Caucus - so must be for Paul Ryan.
- Marlin Stutzman of Indiana - Standing with the Freedom Caucus - so must be for Paul Ryan.
- Randy Weber of Texas – Staff said he's still undecided and that lots of calls are coming in telling him not to vote for Paul Ryan - so, they are listening!
- Ted Yoho of Florida – DANIEL WEBSTER. Period.
In summary, out of the 38 members of the Freedom Caucus:
- 14% are publicly for Daniel Webster
- 45% are supporting Paul Ryan
- 42% are undecided (half of which most likely support Paul Ryan in order to support the Freedom Caucus claim that they have a super majority on their side)