BLOG

Glenn Addresses Tomi Lahren's Pro-Choice Stance on 'The View'

Tomi Lahren, host of Tomi on TheBlaze TV, revealed Friday as a guest on The View that she is a pro-choice conservative, which seems to contradict her stance from less than a year ago. While some may find her newly-stated beliefs at odds with conservatism, the real controversy surrounded her comment that pro-life conservatives, who believe in limited government, are hypocritical for believing the government should intervene in a women's issue like abortion. The response was visceral from both the left and right.

Glenn talked about the "dustup" on radio Monday to clear up his beliefs as a pro-life conservative --- and address Tomi's future with TheBlaze.

Enjoy the complimentary clip above or read the transcript below for details.

GLENN: Hello, America, there are two things to discuss on this Tomi Lahren dustup on The View and one of them is her employment at the blaze. The other is the constitutionality or the constitutional argument for conservatives on pro-life, and let's start there.

First of all, we have a whole bunch of different kinds of people that work here. We started The Blaze with a show called the real news, real news was absolutely fantastic. And it was hosted by Amy Holmes who was openly pro-choice. So if you're pro-choice, you can have a job at the blaze.

I don't hire people who are sycophants or don't have my opinion. I try to hire people who have a different opinion because I believe in being intellectually rigorous. I don't want strawmen. I want people to have a real argument on the other side so we can learn from each other, and we can grow.

So let's learn from each other and grow, shall we? What is the constitutional argument for conservatives on life? A lot of people will think that this is a new argument. That founders never -- they never discussed this, you know? Abortion is a new idea. And if it's not abortion, women's rights is a new idea. Well, I want you to put women's rights into context here. Women's rights are important, however, they're not the only thing to consider when another person's life is at stake. We have to -- we have to consider the other person's life when it is at stake.

The founders were really, really clear. The preamble of the constitution clearly states to secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity.

Well, who are our posterity, if not our unborn children and grandchildren and great grandchildren. Our descendants and future generation, that's who the constitution is securing the blessings of liberty for. Not just us.

The founders wrote endlessly about things that they wanted to change about British common law. Comparatively, they didn't talk about abortion often, but they did talk about it. And that's because abortion was already illegal under British common law. The context of the comments made in the era shows this really clearly. James Wilson, one of the only six people who signed both the decoration and the constitution, he was also an original judge on the Supreme Court. He said, and I quote, "Human life from its commencement to its close is protected by common law. Life begins when the infant is first able to stir in the womb."

In other words, as soon as people knew they were pregnant, you couldn't do anything. As soon as you knew. When it stirred in the womb.

PAT: And that's when they knew back then.

GLENN: And that's when they knew. We know almost instantly now. Signer of the decoration of independence, John Witherspoon said quote some nations have given parents the power of life and death over their children. But here in America, we have denied the power of life and death to parents, end quote.

State law Virginia at the time of Jefferson and Madison laid it out pretty well.

"But if a woman be a child and gives her a possession to destroy the child within her, this is murder. For it was not given to her to cure a disease but unlawfully to destroy the child within her."

So I would disagree that you're a hypocrite if you want limited government and yet you want the government to protect life of the unborn. It's very, very clear. But it takes intellectual honesty, and it takes a willingness to actually think these things through and to do more than just read Twitter or Facebook to get your news and your political opinions. You actually have to study things -- these things out in your mind. Especially at a time period like today. Bomb throwing is -- bomb throwing in today's world is dangerous. Freedom of speech, it's not free. Speech isn't free. It comes with a very high price tag. First, being intellectually honest and intellectually curious. Speech is not free. It comes with another cost and usually to the other people at the other end of your argument. The pen is mightier than the sword, and it can destroy people if your aim is clicks, views, and ratings.

For Tomi, this seems to be a relatively recent change. There was a clip done bait Reagan brigade, listen to this. This is the descender of last year.

>> That's how straight up baby killers by acknowledging abortion is not a positive thing and a difficult choice. Then we have Lena freaking Dunham out there wishing she could have murdered a fetus, wishing for the option to kill your child doesn't actually say much about the cause, her character, or the pro-choice movement.

>> No, I'm pro-choice, and here's why. Someone that loves the constitution, I am someone that's for limited government, so I can't sit here and be a hypocrite and say I'm for limited government but say what women's can't do with their bodies. I'm for limited government so stay out of my guns, and you can stay out of my body as well.

GLENN: She did a bit last year written by Stu. Is this for the wonderful world of Stu?

STU: Yes. Yeah. It was called mommy's choice.

PAT: That was mocking a progressive video that came out where the women were saying "I choose. I choose. I choose to do with my body what I will." This is somewhat mocking that.

GLENN: You asked Tomi to make the opposite point and make it pretty harshly. Here it is. You have it?

PAT: Yeah. It's not just Tomi. It's several women but Tomi's among them.

>> I.

>> I.

>> I am.

>> I am.

>> I am a woman.

>> And I have a choice.

>> A choice.

>> A choice to work.

>> A choice to achieve.

>> A choice to succeed.

>> A choice to fly.

>> To fly.

>> To fly.

>> A choice to be anything.

>> A choice to be anything that I want to be.

>> I.

>> I.

>> I am.

>> I.

>> I.

>> I'm a woman.

>> And I have a choice.

>> I have a choice.

>> To be a mother.

>> I have a choice when it's the morning after.

>> I have a choice at one month.

>> I have a choice at three months.

>> I have a choice in the second trimester.

>> I have a choice three seconds before birth. Or three seconds after birth.

>> I have a choice the first year when they can't sleep through the night.

>> When they can't sleep through the night.

>> I definitely have a choice during the terrible twos.

>> I have a choice when I get sick of Little League and soccer practice.

>> I have a choice.

>> I have a choice when they hit those awkward teen years.

>> I have a choice when they go off to college.

>> I have a choice on their wedding day.

>> Their wedding day.

>> I have two choices when I become a grandmother.

>> I'm a mother.

>> And every more has a right to choose their child's expiration date.

>> No mother.

>> No mother should have to unwillingly.

>> Suffer.

>> Suffer.

>> Suffer through a day where their child is alive.

>> Not one single day.

>> If I want them gone, they're gone.

>> They're gone.

>> It's all about women.

>> It's all about choice.

>> Choice.

>> Choice.

>> It's all about me.

>> Me.

>> Me.

>> Me.

>> Me, me, me.

>> Me, me, me.

>> Me, me, me.

>> Join the movement.

>> Join the movement.

>> Join the movement.

>> Hashtag.

>> #mommyschoice.

PAT: And that's especially funny when you know the style of the liberal spot.

GLENN: The problem here is with all of society, too much is about me, me, me, me, me. The Blaze cannot be about me, me, me, me, me. Media should not be about me, me, me, me.

It's no secret Tomi and I don't agree on quite a lot. But that is about personalities, the ideas are what are important. And if you cannot defend the idea, no matter which side you're on, if you can't defend the idea, that leads to the second part of the discussion. Which is the people calling for Tomi to be fired.

That's not for you to call. That's not appropriate to be discussed on the radio.

That's in the privacy of the office of The Blaze.

The thing I wanted to do today is defend life. Because instead of being about people or events, I want it to be about ideas.

THE GLENN BECK PODCAST

Trans Activism Will End Your Parental Rights | Abigail Shrier | Ep 110

There's a new "reality" spreading, and the mere act of questioning it is incredibly dangerous. Just ask Wall Street Journal investigative journalist Abigail Shrier. Her book, "Irreversible Damage: The Transgender Craze Seducing Our Daughters," exposes the radical gender activism that — just like critical race theory — has overtaken our children's schools and culture. But even worse, Shrier argues it could end your parental rights for good. She is by no means "anti-trans," but simply speaking up against the extremes of this new "reality" has made her enemy number one to the activists. Recently, the American Booksellers Association even called sending her book to others "a serious, violent incident." Abigail joins Glenn to lay out just how slippery this slope has proven to be and what we — conservatives and liberals — must do to protect our children.

TV

DEADLY Negligence: Exposing the REAL Origins & Coverup of the COVID-19 Pandemic

Who were the people and groups involved with coronavirus research, and what really went down before and after the pandemic began? On "Glenn TV" this week, Glenn Beck heads to the chalkboard to outline a tale of negligence and then, coverup. The elites of the world - the people calling themselves experts - trusted the Chinese Communist Party with one of the most dangerous weapons we can imagine on this planet--a virus.

Glenn reveals who was involved in a definitive timeline, and argues: If proof of a lab leak does come out, the worlds needs to know EVERYONE that was involved. We must expose the coverup and attempt to control the narrative of the pandemic origins. Everyone from Big Tech, the media, the Chinese and even our own government have been involved. What lies behind the coverup could reveal the dirty secret that, in order to cut corners, the academic elites and government entrusted Communist China with a civilization-killing virus.

Watch the full episode below:

Want more from Glenn Beck?

To enjoy more of Glenn's masterful storytelling, thought-provoking analysis and uncanny ability to make sense of the chaos, subscribe to BlazeTV — the largest multi-platform network of voices who love America, defend the Constitution and live the American dream.

BLOG

WATCH: Glenn shares a little bit of history in CPAC speech

Glenn cut his vacation short to share a little bit of history with the crowds at CPAC Saturday. Check out this clip to watch the speech in its entirety.

TV

Are electric vehicles REALLY the best solution? Here are the FACTS

Electric vehicles are the wave of the future. They are so much better for the environment. At least that's what we have been told, but is this correct?

On his TV special, Glenn Beck explained how electric vehicles (EVs) might not actually be the environmental solution we've been led to believe. In fact, they may not be a solution at all.

Glenn shared a recent article from LiveScience that reported:

A 2014 study published in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences looked at the entire life cycle of an EV's emissions, from mining the metals required for the batteries to producing the electricity needed to power them, and then compared this with the average emissions of a gas-powered vehicle. The team found that when electric vehicles are charged with coal-powered electricity, they're actually worse for the environment than conventional gasoline cars.

He next shared an article from The Greenage, which stated:

The Union of Concerned Scientists has calculated that manufacturing a mid-sized EV with an 84-mile range results in about 15 percent more emissions than manufacturing an equivalent gasoline vehicle. For larger, longer-range EVs that travel more than 250 miles per charge, the manufacturing emissions can be as much as 68 percent higher.

Noting how electric vehicles and other fossil-fuel alternatives require the use of mined minerals like lithium, cobalt, zinc, copper, and nickel, among others, Glenn quoted an International Energy Agency report that warned reaching the goals of the Paris Agreement "would mean a quadrupling of mineral requirements for clean energy technologies by 2040. An even faster transition, to hit net-zero globally by 2050, would require six times more mineral inputs in 2040 than today."

"Can [you] predict which country is the world leader in processing the minerals needed for these batteries? Right, China," Glenn stated. "The average EV requires over 200 kilograms of minerals. The average gas vehicle requires 40 kilograms of minerals, mostly copper. A single EV has 22 pounds of lithium in it ... yet another way that the green reset of American energy is putting us all at the mercy of Communist China."

"Oh, and remember during the Obama administration when the world was gonna end' over fracking?" Glenn asked. "Well, the Institute for Energy Research now says, and I quote, 'Mining and processing of lithium, however, turns out to be far more environmentally harmful than what turned out to be the unfounded issues with fracking.'"

Watch the video clip from Wednesday night's episode of "Glenn TV" below for more details:

Want more Glenn TV?

To enjoy more of Glenn's masterful storytelling, thought-provoking analysis and uncanny ability to make sense of the chaos, subscribe to BlazeTV — the largest multi-platform network of voices who love America, defend the Constitution and live the American dream.

SAVE $10 WITH PROMO CODE GLENN.