Elementary School Shuts Down Halloween Traditions in the Name of Equality

An elementary school in Massachusetts has ended its annual tradition of letting kids wear costumes and have class parties for Halloween because it was too “awkward” to plan something not every kid was going to attend.

“It’s fun! I can’t see why people want to preclude kids from having fun, and enjoy something that’s more cultural,” one parent said.

Teachers reportedly told the principal that they didn’t want to plan parties that not all the students could attend. Some families kept their kids home to avoid any Halloween-related festivities.

Doc and Kal talked about parents’ choices raising their kids and why parents, not the school, are responsible for what they decide.

“[Ending Halloween parties] isn’t about the students; this is about the principal and the teachers who feel bad that some of the children might not be going,” Doc said. “Well, I don’t want you to hurt, but get over it.”

This article provided courtesy of TheBlaze.

Doc: It sounds like you know a little bit. You know there is four people that get that joke. Mitchell elementary school in mead ham, Massachusetts like most schools have had a traditional Halloween party and classrooms get together, kids dress up, and share treats and sometimes trick-or-treat here and have a costume parade here. But this year Mitchell elementary school in mead HP ham, Massachusetts is ending the Halloween party. They will no longer have Halloween festivities at the school.

Kris: It is the devil?

Doc: I would respect that more. But no, no, there is another reason.

Kris: Two girls wearing something inappropriate?

Doc: Everybody becomes the slutty-whatever costume. No, we will take a break. I want you to think about it and we will get back to you after the break.

Glenn Beck. This is TheBlaze Radio Network. Truth lives here.

Doc: Mitchell Elementary school, Needham, Maine, the school said not all families celebrate Halloween so they decided to stop holding the festival in order to not exclude children. Not all families celebrate Halloween so therefore they would exclude some children.

Kris: I thought it was about cultural appropriation. People dressing like Indians.

Doc: We always had that. Trust me. In Massachusetts, the last ten years, nobody has

dressed as cowboys and Indians or anything like that. They are not dressing with sombreros or anything. This takes it to a new level. Yes, there is a lot of Christians who don't celebrate Halloween thinking it anti-Christian. It is a silly, funny, stupid holiday to dress up for kids to get candy. It is up to you. Raise your kids how you want and I support that.

But why are you shutting it down for everybody because some don't celebrate it?

Kris: Isn't the whole thing I will punish everybody because of one person?

Doc: In the past you would shut things down like Christmas parties, which was wrong, because not everybody is a Christian or Hanukkah because not everybody is Jewish. But those were based on religion. As wrong as it was to shut them down it was exclusionary based on religion. If you take part of it, you say we are forcing kids to take part in religious exercise. This is simply an event some kids chose not to be a part of. It is not actually religious. You could say your religion is excluding your children or you don't want them there because of your religion but it is not a religious holiday.

Kris: No, it's not.

Doc: This is like saying I don't want my kids to learn sex-ed so therefore we are not teaching it to anybody.

Kris: We have seen one kid allergic to peanuts and the teacher says sorry, nobody brings any peanut-related item.

Doc: It is like saying your child doesn't wear red so nobody can wear red anymore. See what I'm saying? It is nutty. Don't wear red. Don't go to the Halloween show. Don't take part. Stay home. But no, we can't do that because it is exclusionary again. Maybe I just don't want my kid to go to any party? I will keep them hope. But you have to say no, we are stopping everybody. The principal wrote a letter and wrote something the awkwardness of planning knowing not all students would be able to participate was troubling.

Do you see the awkwardness planning this class celebration knowing not all of the students would be able to participate? This isn't about the student. This is about the principal and the teachers who feel bad that some of the children may not be going and they were hurting the whole time they planned this. I don't want you to hurt but get over it. Are you upset not every kid celebrates Christmas? Kal, did you celebrate Christmas growing up?

>> Kal: Nope.

Doc: You happen to not be Christian?

Kris: That is correct.

Doc: But you went to catholic high school?

>> Kal: And college as well?

Doc: Did everybody have to stop being Christian?

>> Kal: No, it wasn't force. You had to go to theology classes and experience that but during mass you just hung out on the side.

Doc: You didn't celebrate Christmas?

>> Kal: No, not really. I did not cry about it.

Doc: Were your parents and everybody devastated? No. I get over it. It is what it is.

>> Kal: My parents sent me to private school for the education. They didn't care what we did.

Doc: On November 9th, the school will celebrate something else. William Mitchell day.

Kris: What is that?

Doc: The namesake of the elementary school. It is probably somebody of historic significance.

Kris: Do you get candy? If I were a parent I would send my kid dressed up on that day.

Doc: Something culturally inappropriate. Trick-or-treat. Wait, what do we do on William Mitchell day?

I remember when I was in second, third, fourth grade --

Kris: Long time ago. Back in the 1800s.

Doc: There was a girl we will call Kelly. She was in my class. I remember she wasn't at the Christmas party. She wasn't at the Halloween party or the Easter party or any of those. She was part of something called Jehovah Witness. Her parents didn't send her to school those days.

Kris: She was sad about it, though?

Doc: I don't know. She wasn't there.

Kris: You felt like she needed to be there?

Doc: I didn't care. I was there. No, I thought that sucks but something I don't understand. I was glad it wasn't me. But it was funny. She went to the valentine's day party.

Kris: Really? So Valentine's day was okay?

Doc: Apparently with their group.

Kris: Is there different things for different groups?

Doc: I don't know. I was in second and third and fourth grade. Don't send your kid to school or if you have problem with this send them somewhere else. Public cool is supposed to be for the masses. That is when it is. People in the community say this is absolutely fine and they don't want to take part in this fine. But if I am in the community, I would think most people are okay with a Halloween party. I am pretty ticked if they make this decision without asking the parents. I think most people say, yeah, have a Halloween party.

>> Yeah, especially because for me Halloween is a day to give candy.

Doc: Does your son love it?

Kris: He does.

Doc: Would he be upset if they cancel it?

Kris: He would be really upset.

Doc: This is one of those if you are they still do it because of the majority of others don't want it, move schools.

Glenn Beck can't help but wonder, "What is wrong with us?" in light of the Left's latest move — canceling six Dr. Seuss books due to "hurtful and wrong" illustrations — that takes America one step closer to complete insanity. And now, school districts are jumping on board after President Joe Biden seems to have dropped Dr. Seuss from the White House's annual "Read Across America Day" proclamation.

On the radio program Tuesday, Glenn argued that deleting books is the perfect example of fascism, and asked when we as a country will finally realize it.

"They are banning Dr. Seuss books. How much more do you need to see before all of America wakes up? ... This is fascism!" Glenn said. "We don't destroy books. What is wrong with us, America?"

Watch the video below to hear more from Glenn:


Want more from Glenn Beck?

To enjoy more of Glenn's masterful storytelling, thought-provoking analysis and uncanny ability to make sense of the chaos, subscribe to BlazeTV — the largest multi-platform network of voices who love America, defend the Constitution and live the American dream.

Former Democratic presidential candidate and Hawaii representative Tulsi Gabbard and Glenn Beck don't agree much on policy, but they're in lockstep on principles.

On "The Glenn Beck Podcast" this week, Tulsi spoke with Glenn about one of her last acts in Congress, introducing the "Protect Women's Sports Act," which she says would "strengthen, clarify, and uphold the intent of Title IX to provide a level playing field for girls and women in sports." But since then, the Biden administration has gone in the opposite direction, and has supported allowing biological men to compete in women's sports.

Watch the video clip below to hear why Tulsi took a stand for female athletes:


Watch the full interview with Tulsi Gabbard here.

Want more from Glenn Beck?

To enjoy more of Glenn's masterful storytelling, thought-provoking analysis and uncanny ability to make sense of the chaos, subscribe to BlazeTV — the largest multi-platform network of voices who love America, defend the Constitution and live the American dream.

Later this week, former President Trump will attend CPAC and give his first major policy appearance since leaving office. Sources close to the President reveal he will focus on "the future of the Republican Party and the conservative movement."

The future of the GOP is a question that demands real discussion before elections in 2022 and 2024. Right now, I can see three possible answers for how you act:

  1. Those in power and senior positions will ignore the reasons behind Donald Trump winning in 2016. They will be vindicated in their minds because they outlasted him, as they view DC as a job for life. These leaders will go back to business as usual and seek forgiveness from the left, hoping for unity and acceptance in the future.
  2. The second outcome is another section of the party that is understandably very angry over the left's Presidents treatment. They still support and believe in Trump. They think it's time to take off the gloves and treat Biden/the left exactly how they treated Trump.
  3. The few policy positions offered in public will be centered solely around opposing the left. They will also make the case how the left suck, are dangerous, and how you need them in power. The next four years are merely a countdown for Trump to run again and right the wrong of 2020.
  4. The third outcome is very similar to the second, but with one key difference. While they appreciate everything Trump accomplished while in office, they feel it's time to unite behind another candidate.
Question

Which of these three positions will work best for the American people? Which helps built a political base for elections in both 2022 and 2024?

If you seek to help save America, it is critical to do some soul searching. Whether you love or hate him, Donald Trump got 75 million votes and made advancements in key demographics. What did he do well that you can develop further? In what areas was he poor, and how can you improve?

I want to raise six principled points everyone on the right should be forced to consider in the run-up to 2024.

1 - Understanding American Exceptionalism

FACT: America is an exceptional nation. If you read enough of world history, you will find ample evidence that America acted in ways that made it unique and significantly different from other countries in the past and modern times. These reasons must be understood and promoted through the culture and body politic.

One of those reasons is the layout of your Declaration of Independence. If you look around politics today, you will see people on all political sides telling you what they hate, why the other side is the enemy, and how they must be defeated.

In the Declaration of Independence, Jefferson also made that case against the English when he listed 27 grievances against the King. So how is the layout key? It took Jefferson 357 words to get to those grievances. Your Declaration is your mission statement: it tells everyone in the world what America aspires to be. It states the belief that all were created equal, all had certain rights that come directly from God, and that it is the government's job to protect rights -- not give people rights.

The left is successfully painting everyone on the right to be a terrorist who enjoyed the Capitol Hill riots. If you ever want to win another election, it will be critical to explain what you stand for to the American people.

After all, ask yourself which makes you the most passionate to vote - removing someone from office or voting for a vision and change you believe in?

2 - The Constitution

Is there a better place to start this vision than the Constitution? Yes, it is mostly ignored today by those in power and is only referenced by politicians and media when it fits a narrative.

The Constitution is a beautiful and complex document but is primarily based on a straightforward principle. The government should be extremely limited in its power, but it should be as close to the people as possible where there is a clear need for government. Who can argue with this principle?

Who wants someone they have never met, dictating how they live their life?

This is why the Constitution grants the President no real power, and gives Congress 18 clauses of power, listed under Article 1, Section 8. Any and every power not mentioned there belongs at the state level.

3 - Finances

The power structure in DC has changed many times over the last twenty years, with both parties having the opportunity to rule the different federal branches. There have been two periods where one party controlled all the power in DC:

  • 2008-2010: Obama / Dem
  • 2016-2018: Trump / GOP

Despite these changes, your government continually grows, you continue to spend money you don't have, and in ten out of the last thirteen years, you have added over $1,000,000,000,000 to your national debt, which now sits just under $28 trillion. Does this seem sustainable to you? Of course not, but sadly your finances only get worse.

America has revenue of over $3.2 trillion every year, yet DC has not passed a budget since 2008. Can you imagine any business running that way? Do you think Apple, Amazon, or Disney have a budget? It is time to get America on a path to financial sustainability, work towards a balanced budget, and explain to the American people how you will achieve it.

4 - Taxes

Do you remember discussing taxes during the Tea Party?

We used to make the simple moral case to the American people: any money you earn is yours, you should use it to plan your life, and the government has no right to take it from you. This was so successful around 2012 that Herman Cain ran for President with one primary policy: the 9-9-9 plan.

If America is to return to prosperity after Covid, lower taxes and a simpler tax code must be a central theme.

5 - Cutting Government

Look at the size of the US government in 2021. Are you happy? Can you name the numerous departments? Is it now the freedom-loving Americans' position that agencies like Education, Energy, EPA, and Commerce are constitutional bodies of government and are well-run?

How about the IRS, which targeted Tea-Party groups under President Obama? Do they deserve support, or is it time to start sharing a vision of the departments that should be abolished?

This principle used to be a big part of the Conservative platform. It played a massive role in 2012 when Rick Perry ran for President. His campaign was destroyed in 45 short seconds when he could not remember the three agencies he would abolish.

Maybe it's time to refresh this debate but change the parameters. How about we discuss the agencies that should be kept?

6 - Bill of Rights

Today, the Bill of Rights is under constant attack. The far-left/woke mob hates free speech, and they seek to cancel anyone with an opposing view. However, the attacks on the Bill of Rights don't always come from the left.

America has a second amendment that guarantees you the right to bear arms. The last time the GOP held both houses of Congress and the Presidency, they banned bump stocks - but who really NEEDS a bump stock?

As the years have passed, some have admitted they are open to red flag laws. Is this still the case?

While the second amendment may be under attack, it is clear the fourth amendment is dead. Regardless of which party holds power in DC, the NSA is given continuous ability to spy on Americans. The simple, principled case from Rand Paul of "get a warrant" always falls on deaf ears.

The Bill of Rights should be a unifying document for most Americans, as the principles are self-evident and a significant part of any freedom platform going forward.

Conclusion

America will face significant challenges over the coming years. As the government continues to grow, the far left get more hostile, and central planners seek a great reset. If you share my concern, then now is the time to forget our tribes and ignore the debate on who should be President in 2024.

It's time to work hard to build a platform by raising a banner of bold colors, not pale pastels. We must share a clear vision to the American people of a bright future where they are free, prosperous, and can pursue their happiness.

When the platform is built and successful, people can identify the best candidate to run in 2024.

"First, you win the argument, and then you win the election." — Margaret Thatcher

Jonathon Dunne is a keynote speaker, weekly podcast host on Blaze Media, and published author on major platforms such as The Blaze, Glenn Beck, Libertarian Republic, Western Journalism, and Constitution. Since 2012, he has reached millions with his message of American exceptionalism.

You can find him on social media – Facebook, Twitter, MeWe

Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) is under fire for questioning President Joe Biden's nominee for an assistant health secretary position, Dr. Rachel Levine, about her alleged support for giving children puberty blockers and sex-change surgeries.

During a confirmation hearing Thursday, Paul pointedly asked Levine, who is a transgender woman, about her support for allowing children to change their sex, and whether she believes children are capable of making such life-altering decisions.

Levine evaded the question, answering instead with a vague statement about the complexities of transgender medicine, which she would again reiterate for Paul's subsequent questions.

Watch a video clip of the confirmation hearing here.

Predictably, Paul has been labeled "transphobic" and accused of trying to derail Levine with "transphobic misinformation" by the leftist media.

On the Glenn Beck Radio Program Friday, Paul said his questioning Levine had nothing to do with who she is or the fact that she is a transgender adult, but was about the question of gender changes for children.

"The interesting thing is, none of it was directed towards her personally or who she is. It was directed towards the question of whether children can consent. And this is an intellectual question. It's not an inflammatory question. It's a question of serious consequences," he explained. "Most people would argue that children can't really make an informed consent. You know, we have laws against a man having sex with a 12-year-old, even if the 12-year-old says 'yes', because we don't think a 12-year-old is capable of consenting. They just aren't old enough to make the decision."

Paul went on to add, "I guess the danger is, you have to have some chutzpah. You have to have some guts, some courage to stand up because it is a culture out there where ... everybody is saying I made transphobic comments yesterday. All I did was ask whether a minor could consent to this kind of dramatic surgery. Nothing I ever said was hateful. I said nothing hateful about these people. I said nothing hateful about adults who choose to do this. But the culture is out there is so strong that so many in office are afraid to speak out. And it's getting worse.

"There's a handful of us that will speak out in the Senate. There's a handful in the House, and we just have to grow our ranks. But we have to resist or it just will roll over us. And we'll live in this terrible cancel culture world where nobody speaks out, and everybody is afraid to say anything."

Watch the video below to catch more of the conversation:

Want more from Glenn Beck?

To enjoy more of Glenn's masterful storytelling, thought-provoking analysis and uncanny ability to make sense of the chaos, subscribe to BlazeTV — the largest multi-platform network of voices who love America, defend the Constitution and live the American dream.